Strong odors coming from your water supply at home can be unnerving. In order to find a solution to the problem, you must first identify the source. To find the source of the smell, take the following simple steps:
- Check first if the water odor occurs in all faucets. If not, and the odor goes away after letting the water flow for several minutes, it could be that the source of odor lies in the water pipes or fixtures connected to the faucet, not the plumbing system or the water source.
- If the odor is present in all faucets, and the problem goes away after running the water for a few minutes, chances are the source of odor lies in your household’s plumbing system.
- If the odor occurs in all faucets and does not go away even after running it for a few minutes, determine if only hot water smells.
- If only the hot water smells, it could be that the odor is coming from your hot water tank equipped with magnesium rod.
- If both the hot and the cold water smells even after running the water for a few minutes, the source of odor could be your water source.
At American Water TX, we can provide you with a free water test to identify the source of your problem. After the problem is identified, we may be able to offer a number of solutions to help you get rid of unpleasant water odor while ensuring a clean, safe water supply for your household. Call our Texas office at (512) 388-0022 to learn more about the products and services that we offer.